.

.
Credit: Broadway Impact

Friday, October 25, 2013

Update since I've been home from ABT

So, no surprise to anyone but I'm still greatly missing my ABT friends and the incredible experience I had.

That being said, I've been making slow progress on some of my post-ABT goals! If you've been reading the blog, you'll know that one of my goals revolved around having an LGBTQ resource binder for my work. I work with individuals struggling with mental health issues and we sadly have very few resources for clients who identify as LGBTQ.

I've begun working on the binder and I can't wait to finish it! It's been slow progress since I generally only have time to work on it while I'm already at work and I can't make any phone calls because I work night shift hours. I'm hoping to be on day shift soon so I can begin gathering more resources by calling organizations during the day.

I'll be sure to post a picture of the binder once it's complete.

Another piece of news that is kinda-sorta related is that my Internship Application is due next week! WOW! That came a lot faster than I was expecting. As a masters student, I'm required to complete 3 semesters of internship to get my degree. They have us fill out skill/interest profiles and then place us in area agencies. I'm hoping that I'll have the opportunity to work with some of the local LGBTQ organizations. The disappointing part is that we're not allowed to request placements by name; we simply fill out a form stating what we're interested in and they place us.

I should find out my placement in January so fingers crossed! I would love to get some more experience so that I can hopefully use my degree to work in that sector of social work.

Alright, that's all for now. Updating will probably be sporadic now that ABT is over, but I will continue to do my best to update this blog whenever possible. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment